NOT A MEDICAL STUDENT? Return to the home page
Welcome to your rotation at 1661 Montreal Road with outpatient mental health services at the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO)!
When to Come
- If you have Epic training, come whenever your training is over.
- If you do not have Epic training, come for 9 AM on your first day.
- On subsequent days, please come at 8:30 AM in order to look over charts for the patients for that day; patients are generally booked starting at 9:30 AM.
- Bring your laptop as there may be free blocks of time during which time you can catch up on your readings.
- Bring your lunch as there is no cafeteria in our off-site clinic. There is a staff lounge with a fridge and microwave ovens.
- Please dress conservatively and professionally, given our patient population — which includes teens who struggle with body acceptance, and other teens who have poor boundaries.
- Please wear "closed shoes" with socks (i.e. no open shoes such as sandals) as we are a healthcare facility.
- Learn about my overall approach to child psychiatry
- Learn about the therapeutic alliance
- Learn about attachment
- 3-hr presentation presented to foster parents
Interview Simulations: Fun way to practice some interviewing skills
- Empathy Simulator - Support a loved one through empathy rather than advice
- Self-Compassion - Support a loved one with self-critical thoughts through empathy and self-acceptance, as opposed to just trying to cheer her up
- Visit this page for more communication training simulations
- Sensory Processing Disorders
- Autism spectrum disorders (ASD)
- eMentalHealth.ca for Medical Students
- uOttawa Psychiatry Medical Student Objectives and Curriculum online
- This is a pilot project and work in progress
- We use the EPIC electronic medical records system at CHEO
- You will have received EPIC training, along with your own login/password